Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Taking the Plunge and I Have No Country



Hey people.  It's the new year and the new month (Rosh Chodesh Shvat).  I have many high hopes for 2014 (this time next year I may even know where I'm going to college!), and wanted to share non- resolutions with you.  I feel dorky making resolutions but I do have a few goals (okay they're the same thing, so sue me).
I want to create something everyday. Mostly in the form of a blog post.  You all have to keep me accountable because this is gonna be really difficult, but I want to get my writing out into the universe and this is the way.  So without further ado, here's my post:

The other day I went to the National Archives to see the new Iraqi Jewish exhibit (highly recommended!).  While I was there, I also went to a general American history exhibit.  One of the parts that stood out to me was a video of World War II American propaganda and recruitment commercials.  One laughably scripted ad, interviewed young people, each saying that they would love nothing more than to enter the draft.  The ad featured  a young man saying that behind G-d, the most important thing is one's country.  I cringed.

Perhaps this is a side effect of the Jewish condition but I don't feel that patriotism towards America.  I respect and love my country, I think that the U.S. has been one of the best nations to the Jews throughout all of history.  I feel forever grateful for the liberties I enjoy.  However, I do not feel an inherent loyalty (I would never betray my country, I just don't think I would die for it either).

All my Zionist friends reading this right now are probably sobbing.  Don't worry, I'm a Zionist. The problem is, I've never been to Israel.  Sure, I'm applying to Bronfman (cross your fingers!) and will go on my senior trip next year, but I don't feel a strong patriotism yet.  So as of now, I feel country-less, but not homeless.  Perhaps this is how my ancestors felt.

Love,
Helyn

1 comment:

  1. Wow -- you've never been to Israel! I hope that changes really soon, and I'm crossing my fingers for you as well!!!

    ReplyDelete